This opportunity has expired.
Volunteer opportunity description
The Global Garden is a community 'ground to plate' project aimed at transforming the site into a thriving community garden project where local people can learn how to produce and prepare a diverse range of organic foods in an engaging holistic environment.
Working from our motto of 'Many Cultures - One Community' we're creating a multi-cultural and inclusive community space where local residents can come and learn, build confidence and work skills, engage with others and transform the way we see food and living.
We welcome corporate groups - there is no charge however if we welcome any donations of VIK resources etc wherever possible.
The project will help lead our Green Hub by developing environmental skills with volunteers, actively strengthening the attitudes of the community to self generating opportunities for jobs and engaging with BAME and minority groups
The Selby Trust’s Global Gardening Project is a series of initiatives aimed at bringing local people together to:
- Create opportunities that improve the local landscape
- Promote and increase awareness of growing fruit, vegetables and herbs in urban areas
- Increase awareness of alternative ways of maintaining a healthy lifestyle through improved diet and exercise
- Explore and develop proposals for generating an income for the project
- To work as part of a team to engage local people in gardening/food growing schemes within community settings and the home
- To work individually or as part of a team to clear and prepare sites for planting
- To work as part of a team to design and create raised planting beds
- To work individually or as part of a team to develop ideas for new projects
- To work individually or as part of a team to maintain existing Global Garden initiatives
- To work as part of a team on Outreach/consultation activities
- To work as part of a team to assist with (and attend) workshops, demonstrations and events/festivals eg, cooking workshops, celebratory and/or health awareness events etc
- To actively participate/contribute to networking and partnership work
- To work individually or as part of a team to design publicity materials for the Global Gardening project
- To work with other team’s (and/or Licencees) within the Selby eg, Wood Wonders etc
The Selby Trust is committed to:
- providing all volunteers with Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) support
- providing all volunteers with Self Development Action plans
- supporting volunteer development by accessing training opportunities both in-house and external
- supporting and equipping volunteers with new skills and experiences
- providing all volunteers with one to one support and supervision.
- be keen and enthusiastic
- have an interest or willing to learn basic gardening skills
- have an interest or be willing to work with the community and in a community setting
- have an interest in or willing to learn basic carpentry skills
- have an interest in or willing to learn how to carry out social research
- have an interest in or willing to learn basic ICT skills.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times