Volunteer opportunity description
Join Team London and Mayor's Fund for London's Enterprise Adviser Network and be part of a national network of high-calibre business professionals. This Network brings together business and education.
We are engaging a pan-London network of high-calibre business volunteers to support teachers in schools to design and deliver inspirational and impactful careers education strategy.
As an Enterprise Adviser you will:
- Spend approximately 8 hours a month working with a school allocated to you, both remotely and face to face.
- Be supported by a partner Enterprise Adviser (two are allocated to each school) and an Enterprise Coordinator (based at City Hall) for your area.
- Use your knowledge and experience to conduct an assessment of existing provision, identify gaps and create a sustainable careers and business engagement strategy for the school which will benefit young people.
- Receive a full induction, held at City Hall, and be provided with resources to support you in your role.
- Have access to termly opportunities to meet up with other Enterprise Advisers to network and share experiences and ideas.
- Be invited to attend the National Enterprise Advisers’ Meeting, ‘Join the Dots’ held in Sheffield in May where you will have the opportunity to network with over 1300 other Enterprise Advisers.
- Engage with a local school leadership team to create significant positive impact on the lives of young people by increasing the number of quality encounters they have with employers and help them to make more informed choices about their next steps.
More about the Network
Despite ongoing high levels of youth unemployment, businesses across the Capital are continuing to struggle to fill their direct entry roles. It is essential the Capital’s next generation are better prepared to enter the world of work and as the Mayor’s recent London Ambitions report showed this can be achieved through aspirational careers guidance and improved collaboration between business and students.
Through delivery of London’s Enterprise Adviser Network, Team London and Mayor's Fund for London are delighted to be bringing together business and education. Team London and Mayor's Fund for London will be engaging a pan-London network of high-calibre business volunteers to support teachers in London’s schools to design and deliver inspirational and impactful careers education strategy.
To do this, we need your help!
An Enterprise Adviser volunteer will;
- Work with nominated teachers from the school and complete an audit to understand existing careers provision, successes, challenges and gaps.
- Support the teacher(s) to design a whole school 3 year careers education plan for the school which builds on success, and addresses any gaps or challenges faced.
- Inform and connect teachers to relevant programmes offered by businesses and charities across London, and draw on their networks to support teachers to put the plans into action. This will be done with the support of the London Enterprise Coordinators.
Enterprise Advisers will have access to:
- A dedicated Enterprise Coordinator from Team London/Mayor's Fund for London who will offer ongoing support and guidance.
- An extensive network of dedicated and talented professionals to share best practice.
- Comprehensive toolkits and resources that can be used to offer a quality career guidance.
- Face to face training and induction delivered by Team London and Mayor's Fund for London.
What are the benefits of being an Enterprise Adviser?
Through your involvement as an Enterprise Adviser you will have the opportunity to:
- Support the delivery of a high profile nationwide careers programme, championed by the Cabinet Office, senior government figures and the London Economic Action Partnership (LEAP).
- Make transformational change to careers advice by ‘educating the educators’ to be able to support their students to make more informed careers choices.
- Inspire London’s youth, helping to safeguard the Capital’s future workforce by equipping them with the opportunities and information to succeed.
- Develop your own skills outside of your normal working environment, including leadership, coaching and communication skills
- Build a peer network.
Team London and Mayor's Fund for London are looking for self-motivated, passionate individuals who are committed to supporting London’s young people to join this new and exciting programme. The ideal candidates will be:
- Available to support a school or college for at least one academic year. Committing a minimum of the equivalent of one day per month, which would include some face-to-face meetings with teachers and remote support by phone/email.
- Passionate about tackling youth employment.
- Knowledgeable of the local labour market, which with support they can translate into engaging material for teachers.
- Able to communicate and work with a wide range of stakeholders, from teachers to employers, and support the schools to develop a broad careers education programme.
- Well connected, with the knowledge and ability to connect schools and colleges to local resources and support that will ensure students have access to impartial careers advice.
Team London and Mayor's Fund for London will endeavour to allocate a school in line with Enterprise Advisers’ preferences given at application. Travel to schools will be required as part of the commitment to liaise with the schools, whilst some support will be offered remotely.
The Network is being delivered in the following London boroughs:
- Barking & Dagenham
- City of London
- Hammersmith & Fulham
- Kensington and Chelsea
- Waltham Forest
Team London and Mayor's Fund for London are also working with businesses who are offering this to their staff as part of their CSR. So please do share with your employers also.
This role is ideal for those: with a background in early learning/future talent, someone who has worked with teachers and/or schools, or simply individuals who have a real passion for raising aspirations of and widening options for London’s young people.
Reasonable travel expenses will be re-imbursed on submission of reciepts
If you would like to find out more please apply by clicking the blue button on the top left hand side of the page.
Our volunteer needs
We need volunteers who are free at these times